- Family friendly
- Focus: Nature & Comfy
- Hotel or Hostel
- Meals included
- Multi-day Tours
- Season: Apr-Sep
Next Stop Nature This tour is about connecting with Swedish nature, landscapes and lifestyle, learning about why nature is so important in the Swedish culture and daily life.
In Sweden we have the right of public access ‘allemansrätten’, literally ‘the right of all men’ meaning everyone can freely walk anywhere in Sweden, given that they respect fully the nature and land ownership. This is taught from an early age and is something we cherish and will share more about on this tour.
Learn about the fascinating woods at Omberg, renown for the largest concentration of plant species in Sweden. We visit Lake Tåkern and it’s Naturum exhibition centre, home to over 200 bird species. Then try your hand at bushcraft skills, make a fire and cook in the outdoors. One night we stay in a very special place called ‘Urnatur’, in an eco-lodge set deep in the woods.
This is the perfect tour for those who are interested in nature, but still want to take things slow and to be one step up from camping.
- Explore the nature around Omberg woodlands, lake Vättern and Tåkern nature reserve with a local guide
- Learn about Swedish outdoor life and how sustainability is intrinsic to the connection between Swedes and the land. ‘Allemansrätten’ the Right of Public Access
- Try your hand at making a fire and prepare your own Swedish Fika in the woods
- Eat locally sourced foods – we will pass the farms who produce what we eat during the tour
- Omberg – no other forest in Sweden has a greater number of different plant species
- Enjoy views over the crystal clear Lake Vättern
- Bird spotting and wildlife watching at Lake Tåkern
- Stay in an eco-lodge at Urnatur, light a candle in the evening and listen to the forest go to sleep. There is no electricity here
- Hassle-free, our tour guide will be with you during the whole trip
- All hotels, cafés and restaurants during this trip are run by the families that own them
Facts about the tour
Comfort level: 3 / 5
We will be staying in eco-lodges with no electricity or running water. There are toilet and shower facilities at UrNatur – but not in the cottages. There is a bathhouse with showers and urine separated toilets. We will make our dinner in the outdoor kitchen using locally sourced food. It’s all part of the group experience.
Activity level: 2 /5
We enjoy outdoor walking on the forest trails at Omberg and round the lake at Tåkern. The trails are undulating but not steep and we take them at a nice steady pace. Otherwise the rest of the trip is mostly walking on level and paved pathways.
Max. group size: Usually 8 but we can take up to 16
|DEPARTURE/RETURN LOCATION||The square Rådhustorget in Vadstena
Please see our pick-up service from Stockholm - info below.*
|DEPARTURE TIME||11.30 from Rådhustorget, Vadstena. Pick-up between 10.00-11.30*|
Pick-up and drop-off included
The tour starts at 12:00 at the Alvastra Monastery ruin. But we also have a pick-up service:
From the Motala/Linköping/Mjölby region
We’ll pick you up from your hotel or at the stations within the Vadstena, Motala, Mjölby, Ödeshög and Linköping area – free of charge. The pick-up is between 10-11.30. We can also drop you off after the tour in this area – free of charge. The drop-off is between 13.00-14.30.
From Stockholm and Skavsta
We can pick you up from the Central Station in Stockholm for an extra charge of 1000SEK/person, or we can pick you up at the Skavsta Airport for an extra charge of 500SEK/person. The pick-ups will be done the day before - we can help you with a hotel or hostel reservation if you like. We will take you back to Stockholm/Skavsta in the afternoon, after the tour has finished.
- The transport during the tour.
- A local guide will be with you during the whole tour
- Meals: 2x Lunch, 1 x Dinner, 1 x breakfast, 2 x tea/coffee break
- Guide – guided tours of Omberg, UrNatur and Tåkern.
- Accommodation 1 night at UrNatur - double room. Note: UrNatur is a fantastic place, but the cottages have no water or toilette. You have to leave the cottage to visit the bathroom. The cottages are placed 5-10 minutes walking from the parking/outdoor kitchen.
Whats not included
- The transport to the area. But we can help you out – we can pick you up at your hotel/station in the area - or even in Stockholm or at Skavsta Airport. Nearby pick-ups are included. Please see the pick-up section above.
- Extra charge for single room - contact us for more information.
One of our local guides will be with the group from start and til the end of the tour.
This tour has no age limit, and is suitable for everyone.
Q: Can we come - but travel in our own rental car?
A: Of course - if you want to join this tour but already have a rental car - you can. But the price is the same. It's better for the environment if we travel together.
Q: Anything we need to bring?
A: Clothes, camera, personal items.
Q: What's the weather like?
A: Click here to read about the climate of Sweden
Questions, reservations and payments
If you have any questions – please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To make a reservation, please use the online booking system below. When you make the reservation you also pay online with a credit card.
If you cancel the tour less than 72 hrs prior to its start you will be given the money back – except for 200 SEK/booking (not per person) which we keep as an administration fee. Cancellations with more than 72 hrs prior to start will be fully refunded. Cancellations on the same day and no-shows will not be refunded at all.
Please click on the date below to see available tours.
12.00 We start with a lunch at Stocklycke, a café at Omberg and go through the details of tour. This is a family-owned hostel and café, very popular among the locals and guests.
13.00 After lunch we will go on a guided tour of Omberg – the forest in Sweden with the most amount of plant species. We pass beech woods, spruce forest, cliffs and meadows.
14.00 We continue with a short hike and give an introduction to the Swedish outdoor life. How do the Swedes enjoy their outdoors? Why is it so important to know how the Right of Public access works. We will make a fire, you will learn how to use the fire steel and we’ll prepare our own Swedish Fika. No other coffee break is greater than the one made in the woods!
17.00 We check in to our eco-lodges for the nights – at Urnatur. From then on you just have to relax, try the sauna, make some food in the outdoor kitchen, row a boat and listen to the sounds of the forest.
10.00 After breakfast we continue to lake Tåkern for a guided nature and wildlife tour. It is only a 25-minute drive from Urnatur. Tåkern is one of the greatest and most famous bird lakes in Sweden. We will also visit the exhibition here – the building is quite special as it’s made of grass reeds and is architecturally designed.
12.30 We’ll have a light lunch together at a local café before heading back to civilization.
13.30 Drop-off’s are possible at the train or bus stations or at your hotel. See our info about pick-ups and drop-offs