- Family friendly
- Focus: History & Culture
- Hotel or Hostel
- Meals included
- Multi-day Tours
- Season: All year
Historical & Healthy A two-day guided tour encompassing some of the most historical places in the mid-Sweden region. This was once the home of the kings who formed the Sweden we know today. During the tour we will visit a world-famous Viking runestone, old monasteries, a medieval city and castle, in combination with forest walks, eating locally produced food and more.
This tour takes you to the lake and forest areas around Omberg and canal town of Motala with an overnight stay in historic Vadstena. After the tour you will not only be filled with good food, but also with new knowledge and energy!
Alvastra Monastery ruin, the medieval city centre of Vadstena, Vadstena Castle, Vadstena convent area, Medevi Brunn historic spring and Göta Canal
- Explore the natural and historical sights around the Omberg region, Lake Vättern and medieval Vadstena city for 2 days with our knowledgeable local guide
- Visit the atmospheric overgrown ruins of Alvastra Monastery, beautifully situated at the foot of Mount Omberg
- Admire the work of the vikings, Rökstenen runestone has the longest known runic inscription in stone
- Learn more about plant life at Omberg forest which boasts the largest range of plant species in any one forest in the whole of Sweden
- Enjoy panoramic views over crystal clear Lake Vättern
- The historic medieval city center of Vadstena, well preserved with many buildings dating from the 16th century onwards. It’s like taking a walk in the past
- Guided tour of Vadstena Castle and Vadstena Convent area.
- Guided tour of the great Vadstena Abbey and old convent area in central Vadstena founded in 1346 by Saint Bridget.
- Stay at Dahlströmska Gården - a B&B located in a beautiful building near the church, in one of the old mental hospitals.
- Taste the spring water from the historic Medevi Brunn well, said to bring health and vigour! Set in a park with many traditional wooden houses, some dating from the 17th century
- The Göta Kanal crosses the whole of Sweden from east to west. We explore the sluices around Borenshult in Motala.
- During some of the tours we eat our lunch at Ombergs Turisthotell, but if they are fully booked, we will instead eat at Väderstad Centralkrog.
- Meet the locals! All hotels, cafés and restaurants visited during this trip are family owned and run
Facts about the tour
Comfort level: 5 / 5
(We will be staying at an hotel, eating all meals at restaurants and cafés.)
Activity level: 1 /5
We will go for low level walks and enjoy guided tours, but are never far away from transport or accommodation.
Max. group size: 16 (more often 8)
This tour is available all year around.
For available dates – see the boxed “Book this tour” section to the right.
|DEPARTURE/RETURN LOCATION||Start/end in Vadstena.
Please see our pick-up service from Stockholm - info below.*
|DEPARTURE TIME||9.30 from Rådhustorget, Vadstena. Pick-up between 7.30-9.30*|
On the morning day 2 we have an optional morning run with yoga at 7 am, but if you'd rather sleep in till breakfast that's fine too.
*Pick-up and drop-off included
The tour starts at 9.30 from the square Rådhustorget in Vadstena. But we also have a pick-up service from the local stations and hotels, and we also do pick-ups from Stockholm:
From the Motala/Linköping/Mjölby region
We’ll pick you up from your hotel or at the stations within the Vadstena, Motala, Mjölby, Ödeshög and Linköping area – free of charge. The pick-up is between 7.30-9.00. We can also drop you off after the tour in this area – free of charge. The drop-off is between 11.30-13.00.
From Stockholm and Skavsta
We can pick you up from the Central Station in Stockholm for an extra charge of 1000SEK/person.
The pick-ups are offered at least one day before the start of the tour and we can help you with hotel reservations.
The transport during the tour
A local guide will be with you during the whole trip
Meals: 2x Lunch, 1 x Dinner, 3 x Swedish fika, 1 x breakfast
Guide – guided tour of Rökstenen, Alvastra, Vadstena, Göta Kanal and Medevi Brunn.
Entrance fee to Vadstena Castle
Accomodation 1 night at the B&B Dahlströmska Gården. The price is for shared doubleroom.
Whats not included
-Soft drinks and alcohol. Only water is included in the meals.
-The transport to/from Vadstena- but we can help you out – we can pick you up at your hotel/station in the area - or even in Stockholm or at Skavsta Airport. Please see the pick-up section above.
- Extra costs for single room + 500 SEK.
One of our guides is with you from start, til after dinner day 1, and from the morning day 2 til the end of the tour.
We work with small groups of between 2-16 participants.
This tour has no age limit, but there is a bit of walking and we focus on historical sites which not always is of interest for the youngest ones.
Q: Can we come - but travel in our own rental car?
A: Of course - if you want to join this tour but already have a rental car - you can. But the price is the same.
Q: Anything we need to bring?
A: Clothes, camera, personal items.
Q: What's the weather like?
A: Click here to read about the climate of Sweden
Questions, reservations and payments
If you have any questions – please contact us at email@example.com.
To make a reservation, please use the online booking system below. When you make the reservation you also pay online with a credit card.
If you cancel the tour less than 72 hrs prior to its start you will be given the money back – except for 200 SEK/booking (not per person) which we keep as an administration fee. Cancellations with more than 72 hrs prior to start will be fully refunded. Cancellations on the same day and no-shows will not be refunded at all.
Please click on the date below to see available tours.
7.30-9.30 Pick-up for those who pre-booked – we will pick you up at your hotel or at the train/bus station in Linköping, Mjölby, Motala, Vadstena or Ödeshög
10.00 We start at the Viking runestone of Rökstenen, and continue to the old ruin of the Alvastra Monastery
12.00-13.00 We enjoy lunch at Ombergs Turisthotell, a lovely hotel and restaurant on the mountain, overlooking the lake and landscape (or sometimes Väderstad Centralkrog – a cosy countryside restaurant)
13.30-16.30 Vadstena. From Omberg we continue to the medieval town of Vadstena, famous for it’s cobblestone streets, old castle and a monastery area still used today. During the afternoon we’ll have a guided walk around town, visit the castle and then the church. And of course we’ll enjoy some authentic Swedish fika!
16.30-21.00 We check-in at Dahlströmska Gården, a beautiful B&B not far from the church. During the evening we'll eat a two-course dinner at one of the local restaurants.
8.30-9.15 Breakfast – in a medieval King’s palace – built in the 13th century. This is a part of the hotel.
9.15-12.00 We’ll head off for the day to Medevi Brunn – the historic well and spring from the 17th century. Today this is a beautiful park with traditional wooden houses. People came here to indulge in their health – drinking the special spring water, taking baths and going for walks in the fresh country air. From Medevi we continue to the canal – Göta Kanal. It was once built to transport goods, but when the railway came it lost its importance and is now one of the major tourist attractions in Sweden.
12.00-13.00 We’ll eat lunch together in Motala before heading back to Vadstena.
We can also drop you off at the train station in Motala or take you back to Stockholm.